|Scan engine||MSL 2001|
|Interface||RS2322 (with CRD2000); USB-VCP; Bluetooth HID; Bluetooth SPP|
|Menu book|| |
The OPN 2002 is a small programmable barcode reader that can be used for various different purposes, like:
- a Bluetooth HID barcode reader
- a Bluetooth SPP or USB-VCP barcode reader
- a batch terminal with data transmission using USB-VCP and/or the CRD2000 multi cradle
- an OPN 2001 compatible batch terminal (with additional Bluetooth support)
How do I upgrade the firmware?
You can find the latest firmware version on the main web site: http://www.opticon.com -> Service & Support -> Download software -> OPN 2002 -> RBGos.zip (Make sure you've installed the Opticon USB driver, which can be found on the same page on the website)
Extract this zip file. This will leave you a RBGVxxxx.hex file.
Connect the OPN 2002 to the PC. Find out which COM port has been assigned to your OPN 2002, by using the "Device Manager".
Then use the Appload application to transfer the firmware file to the OPN. Configure Appload to use the right COM port and then open the firmware file. The upgrade will now start.
How do I load an application onto OPN 2002
The OPN 2002 can be programmed in various ways. For customers who do not wish to program their own application Opticon has a few applications available. You can find these applications on the main web site: http://www.opticon.com -> Service & Support -> Download software -> OPN 2002 -> Demo application.
To load an application to the OPN 2002 download the required demo application and extract the zip file. This will leave you a RFxxxxx.hex file.
Connect the OPN 2002 to the PC. Find out which COM port it has been assigned, by using the "Device Manager".
Then use the Appload application to transfer the application file to the OPN. Configure Appload to use the right COM port and then open the xxxxxx.hex file. The download will start.
Which demo applications are available for OPN 2002?
Opticon made 4 demo applications that can be used:
- RFG Bluetooth demo application. With this application the OPN 2002 can be used as a bluetooth HID scanner. Connect the OPN 2002 to a computer or bluetooth device and the barcodes will be ouput as keyboard data. (This application has a manual and source files included)
- RFG Batch demo application. OPN 2002 will function as a batch terminal with this application It can transmit its barcode data using the NetO32 application by either USB-VCP and/or the CRD2000 multi cradle. (This application has a manual and source files included)
- RFG OPN 2001 simulation demo application. If you load this application to the OPN 2002 it will act the same as if it was an OPN 2001, The OPN 2002 will also be compatible with the OPN 2001 Windows application. This application also supports sending its data using a Bluetooth SPP connection (see the included Bluetooth instructions for more information).
- RFJ OPR3301 main application.
This application can be downloaded from the download section of the OPR3301. If you load this application onto the OPN 2002 it will behave the same as on OPR 3301 (except with 2 keys and no CRD3301 support). This application offers more bluetooth features (i.e. memorizing) than the standard Bluetooth demo.
WARNING: Only the OPR 3301 application can be loaded on the OPN 2002, do NOT try to load the OPR 3301 OS on the OPN 2002.
If none of the above applications is suitable for your specific demands, it's also possible to write your own OPN2002 application or modify the existing demo applications. All required software and examples to write your own application can be found in the free SDK for Opticon Handheld terminals.
Can I connect the OPN 2002 to my iPhone?
Yes, if you have iPhone version 3Gs or 4, with iPhone OS 4.0 or higher, you can connect the OPN2002 to it. You can do it simply following these instructions these instructions.
If you prefer you can also follow the Youtube version of the instructions...
How to toggle the soft keyboard on an iPhone or iPad
Because the OPN2002 is detected as a HID keyboard by the iPad or iPhone the soft keyboard won't show up after you have the OPN conntected to it. To solve this we have a keyboard toggle option build in the OPN2002. With this function you are able to toggle the soft keypad by pressing the small button on the OPN2002.
Once you have these installed on your OPN you have to scan the bluetooth HID default label:
To enalbe and disable the keyboard toggle function you have to use these barcode labels:
After reading the "iOS ON" label you will be able to toggle the softkeypad by pressing the small button.
Switching USB drivers on the OPN2002
On the OPN2002 it is possible to switch between two USB drivers. This can be useful to use the OPN2002 on operating systems that do not support the OPTO USB driver. Please note that the CDC driver class does not support the modulation of the RTS, CTS, DTR and DTS lines. For instance, when using the OPN2001 simulation on the OPN2002 the data indication line (RTS) and connection status line (DTR) will not function correctly.
Please use the labels below to switch USB driver. The OPTO USB driver is the default driver.